An administration fee of 4.99% will be added to all transactions.
– Why have the extra fee rather than just putting up the entry price?
• No-one likes hidden extras. We are upfront about this fee. The fairest way for us to be fully transparent is to separate this cost out and explain it. The Processing Fee has discrete input costs independent of the direct costs that produce the event. It is these costs that calculate the event entry fee.
– Why use the system we use?
• The online payment process is provided by Paypal so it is very secure.
• It offers the opportunity to pay directly from your Paypal account (if you prefer this to paying by credit card or debit card).
• It is the cheapest and best value solution we can find and it is tailored to the events you are entering. We feel it is very competitive in the marketplace, versus the fees charged by other professional event operators.
• It allows you to swap your entry to another participant or change your team members without incurring any further costs.
• It integrates with charity donation web sites so there is a quick and easy way for you to raise money and obtain your fund-raising discount, should you choose.
– This fee covers the costs of operating the following
• The credit card and Paypal processing fees
• The IT development in building, hosting and maintaining the online entry system.
• The associated bank fees and insurances required to process the event registration fees
• The administration personnel costs of running the registration database
• VAT at 20%
– Why add on a percentage rather than a set fee?
• Rat Race offer such a range of challenges that our price points vary massively. Therefore it is considered the fairest option that all customers are charged the same %age pro rata.
– How can I save money?
• The processing fee will be less the earlier you enter (as it is calculated as a %age) so take advantage of the Early Bird offers to get the best prices across the board.
• Buy a Rat Race Season Ticket and there will not be any entry fees or Administration fees to pay when registering.
• Sign up for standard membership and save 15% on solo entries. Raise money for our charity partner Cancer Research UK* and save £10 if you raise £100 (Adventure Runs) on solo entries or £50 if you raise £500 (Endurance Events)
* Not applicable to all events
Starting in one mass start at 1400, our 5k run is still a genuine test, but it’s roughly half the distance and runs in daylight, so caters to those newer to off-road running, or wanting to “test the water”. Using sections of the 10k course from start to finish, it’s got all the fun, but less of the physicality, with the added bonus of being able to see where you’re going!
The 5k route features a well-signposted drink station approx halfway.
Run duration between 50mins and 2 hours.
Waves every 15minutes starting at 1745*, the MIGHTY Deerstalker is the one to go for if you want the full nocturnal badge of honour. We give you all the features of the 5k, but send you further afield into the disorienting darkness!
Further, higher, steeper, wetter and wilder and don’t forget the headtorch – you’ll need it to overcome all the natural and man made obstacles the course will throw at you. As the lead runner reaches the final peak, a huge firework will be set off, to signal their homecoming to the awaiting crowd at the finish!
The 10k route features a well-signposted drink station which you pass twice en route.
Run duration between 90 minutes and 4 hours. Be prepared, we will have a cut-off in place to keep you on schedule!
*Start times may be adjusted forwards or back depending on light levels. Aim to be ready 30mins beforehand, in case of a very overcast day.
Deerstalker is held at Traquair House, Innerleithen, Peeblesshire. If you have satnav, use postcode EH44 6PW. Entry to the event (and Parking) will be from the B7062, and well-marked in hi-viz signage. Approach the event from Innerleithen, not Cardrona otherwise you’ll cause a traffic jam!
Click here to see our location on Google Maps. If travelling by car, please mind pedestrians and cyclists on the narrow surrounding roads. Parking is in a field with limited space which, if the weather is foul, will become very boggy, so please car share where possible.
Event parking will be 200mts away and in 1 field only this year with 1 entry and 1 exit, we will also put down ground protection should the weather turn nasty and lighting to see you safely back to your cars. On arrival, follow the marshal’s instructions so that we can park you safely and efficiently.
None of our on-site parking is on hard standing, and therefore unsuitable for large vehicles. Hard standing for larger vehicles only is available in a Forestry Commission car park nearby. Access to event parking is available on Friday between 1400-2000 & Saturday between 0800-0000. To help us fit you all in, please car share where possible and follow the marshals directions.
Please note there will be a £5.00 charge per vehicle for 2014
By bus. If coming by the First bus service 62/62A from Edinburgh, please leave extra-early as these buses fill up, and you may have to wait for a later one. Bus timetable is available here.
It’s not all over once you cross that finishline, there’s one more obstacle to tackle; The Mighty Beerstalker party tent. The ales will be flowing and the local band will be putting on another spectacularly lively show, we’ll also do the prize-giving in here with the ceremonious crowning of the winners from the 2 races.
We are obliged to remind you to drink responsibly and look after your fellow runners, remember you’ve taken on The Mighty Deerstalker monster course – that 7th Sambuca might not be the greatest idea. Make sure you and your mates find your way back to your tent safely.
*Please note that there is a charge for Party & Camping at The Mighty Deerstalker
At Deerstalker, camping-and-party passes are limited, and available to pre-purchase. To make the camping experience as comfortable as possible, whilst still retaining its wild outdoors atmosphere, we ask the following of you:
The appetites generated are extraordinary at Deerstalker. There will be a food tent area with plenty of quick-to-serve grub for sale for the post race refuel. We will also have food options available into the evening and the caterers will be serving up until 30 minutes before the bar closes. We advise that you grab food as soon as you can post race as this helps prevent the ‘tidal wave’ effect of everyone queuing to eat at once. A breakfast menu will also be offered on Sunday morning from 730am.
Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading charity dedicated to saving lives through cancer research. Their work, funded entirely by the public, is nothing short of groundbreaking, and has meant that cancer survival rates have doubled in the last 40 years. Both Cancer Research UK and Rat Race share a spirit of challenging what is thought to be impossible. But we believe that, by working together, and with the support of our adventurous Rat Race participants, we will beat cancer. Take part in Deerstalker for Cancer Research UK, and we’ll pay part of your entry fee! If you finish and raise £100 for Cancer Research UK through Justgiving, we’ll return £10 of your entry fee.
For more information, please visit the Cancer Research UK website. Alternatively, you can contact the Cancer Research UK Sports Team on email@example.com, or by calling the Cancer Research UK Hotline on 0871 641 2403. Make your Rat Race challenge mean so much more, and join us in supporting Cancer Research UK. Together we will beat cancer.
Cancer Research UK is a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666) and the Isle of Man (1103 If you are a charity interested in working with us on The Mighty Deerstalker, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your enquiry and we will be happy to share our 2013/2014 Charity Programme with you for your consideration.